Monday, August 8, 2011

setting up the apartment amenities *sigh*

As the title of this post depicts.... this entry is regarding setting up all of the little things that go with living on your own. A very un-fun part of living alone but when its done, its done! After finally finding out the unit number for my apartment it was time for me to set up internet, phone, cable, water, and electric.  My advice for finding the right provider for you is to simply pull out the phone book and turn to the yellow pages! lol Also, if you have friends where you are moving, ask them who they go with and why... it may prove helpful in your search. Unfortunately for me, I had no such friends... So, after hours of calling around, I found the best plans for my roommate and I and started signing up! Another hint that may help you is to be sure and ask if there is a deposit or "start-up" fees as well as ask what the real price of the plan is after the initial "6 months" that so many companies try to reel you in with. Ultimately, I went with basic phone ($.10 a phone call) which you must have in order to get internet and opted for high speed internet since I like to watch movies and so does my roommate on Netflix. The deposit was $100 and the monthly payment  after the initial 6 months is roughly $50. Also, a wireless modem came with installation which was free as well. As for T.V., my apartment came with basic cable which, being a college student was more than enough. For any desires for a movie or to watch a TV show I always have Hulu or my Netflix account ($15 compared to the $40 for decent cable). For water, the water was included in the rent as well which was nice (something to think about when buying an apartment). As far as the electric is concerned, well, there's really no choice on providers for that one...you either pay or you don't get electric; pretty simple concept.  Overall cost per occupant for the first month of rent and amenities including deposits etc: $316. And that's not even including food!  

No comments:

Post a Comment